Here is one of the things we have been working on. This was the ugly door in my dining room that is not so ugly anymore.
Remember? It started out like this:
Here is what we did:
Sanded the door.
Primed 2 coats.
Used level to mark where we wanted our molding to go.
Put masking tape up to see what it would look like.
All of our measurements, except for the bottom of the door, were 4 inches apart.
Bought molding 1 1/2 inches wide (anything less thick didn't look right to us).
Tried to make the molding stick on with liquid nails and it wouldn't. I'm sure we could have laid the door down and put some heavy stuff on the door and waited 7 days til it dried. I didn't have that much patience. So I used a hot glue gun. Yes. I know. All the carpenters are cringing. It worked though really well. That molding wouldn't budge.
We then caulked the crap outta the door and painted it with porch and floor paint. I reasoned that porch and floor paint is much more scratch resistant, plus I had an unused gallon from my last residence. I can be cheap like that.
Hmmm... I'm thinking of adding an aged brass kick plate if I can find one. I used the aged brass knob that was already on the door.
We are now working on making a console table for the dining room out of a side table that was damaged.
The dining room isn't finished yet we still have to:
Finish painting the ceilings and baseboards.
Buy a host and hostess chair
Add wine rack
Add the console table
Bring in art